Current:Home > InvestAndrew Tate’s defamation lawsuit against human trafficking accuser can go to trial, judge says -Capitatum
Andrew Tate’s defamation lawsuit against human trafficking accuser can go to trial, judge says
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 07:17:24
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A judge says controversial social media personality Andrew Tate ‘s defamation lawsuit against a Florida woman who accused him of imprisoning her in Romania can go to trial, but he threw out Tate’s allegations against her parents and some allegations against the woman.
Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Joseph Curley ruled that the widely followed former professional kickboxer, 37, and his brother, Tristan, 36, can present their allegations to a jury that the woman in 2022 enlisted another woman in a plot to extort money from them.
The British-American brothers say the woman falsely accused them of human trafficking and rape, costing them their freedom and millions of dollars in income from their lucrative social media, podcasting and business ventures. Romanian officials indicted the Tates last year, saying the brothers forced seven victims into pornography and subjected them to physical violence.
Her attorneys say the lawsuit is in retribution for her reporting him to authorities. The Associated Press generally does not name people who say they have been sexually assaulted.
Curley said in last week’s ruling, posted to online court records Tuesday, that the Tates’ attorneys have shown enough possible evidence that the woman defamed their clients and was attempting to defraud and extort them to warrant a trial. He pointed to April 2022 text messages the woman and her friend exchanged where they say they will ask the Tates for $200,000 and “act like we still love them and stuff.”
Curley also pointed to other text messages that could indicate the woman knew she falsely accused the Tates of sex trafficking and false imprisonment. No trial date has been set and because of discovery and legal challenges it could be years before one occurs.
Curley did throw out parts of the lawsuit accusing the woman of false imprisonment for the Tates being arrested, intentional infliction of emotional distress and interfering with their business relationships. He left the door open to their attorneys amending and refiling those accusations.
Curley dismissed the Tates’ accusations that the woman’s parents defamed them when they told American diplomatic officials about their daughter’s allegations. He said they had no reason to believe their daughter’s accusations were false and had a right to report them.
Attorneys for the Tates and the woman each said Curley’s decision was a win for their side.
Tate attorney Joseph McBride said they are “most pleased with Judge Curley’s ruling” as the defamation accusation directly addresses the “plot to destroy Andrew and Tristan Tate’s lives.” He said no decision has been made on whether to amend and refile the dismissed accusations.
The National Center on Sexual Exploitation Law, which represents the woman and her parents, called Curley’s ruling a “huge victory.”
“We are very pleased the Court has tossed out the majority of this frivolous lawsuit and wisely narrowed the issues and claims,” attorney Dani Pinter said in a statement. “If the case proceeds, we look forward to the opportunity to prove the truth of what occurred in Romania, and we are confident that ultimately we will succeed and this harassing lawsuit will fail.”
Romanian investigators said in their indictment that the Tates and two Romanian women formed a criminal group in 2021 “in order to commit the crime of human trafficking” in that country, the United States and Britain. Prosecutors also confiscated the Tates’ assets, including 15 luxury cars, luxury watches and about $3 million in cryptocurrency.
Investigators say the seven accusers were recruited with false declarations of love, but then forced to take part in pornography. The women were controlled by “intimidation, constant surveillance” and claims they were in debt, officials said.
But the Tates, in their lawsuit, paint a different picture. They say the Florida woman and all women who lived at their estate were free to come and go as they pleased, and closed-circuit security video can prove it.
Earlier this month, a Romanian judge lifted a year-long bar on the Tates leaving that country, but said they must stay within the European Union while they await trial.
“THE SHAM CASE IS FALLING APART,” Andrew Tate wrote on the social media platform X.
Andrew Tate has been banned from TikTok, YouTube and Facebook after the platforms accused him of posting hate speech and misogynistic comments, including that women should bear responsibility for being sexually assaulted. But he remains popular on X, with almost 10 million followers, many of them young men and schoolchildren. He runs an online academy where he says he teaches young men how to get rich and attract women.
Several women in Britain also are pursuing civil claims against Andrew Tate, alleging they were victims of sexual violence. British authorities have charged the Tates criminally with sexual aggression. Details have not been disclosed.
In a 2023 interview with the BBC, Andrew Tate denied spreading a culture of misogyny and accusations that he manipulated women for financial gain.
veryGood! (65995)
Related
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- A man is fatally shot by officers years after police tried to steer him away from crime
- Footage shows NYPD officers firing at man with knife in subway shooting that wounded 4
- Georgia State Election Board approves rule requiring hand count of ballots
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- An appeals court has revived a challenge to President Biden’s Medicare drug price reduction program
- Biden is putting personal touch on Asia-Pacific diplomacy in his final months in office
- Son arrested in killing of father, stepmother and stepbrother
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Actor Ross McCall Shares Update on Relationship With Pat Sajack’s Daughter Maggie Sajak
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Proof Hailey Bieber Is Feeling Nostalgic About Her Pregnancy With Baby Jack
- S&P 500, Dow hit record highs after Fed cuts rates. What it means for your 401(k).
- The first day of fall is almost here: What to know about 2024 autumnal equinox
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Game of Thrones Cast Then and Now: A House of Stars
- Google begins its defense in antitrust case alleging monopoly over advertising technology
- Alleged Hezbollah financier pleads guilty to conspiracy charge
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Many players who made their MLB debuts in 2020 felt like they were ‘missing out’
Caren Bohan tapped to lead USA TODAY newsroom as editor-in-chief
S&P 500, Dow hit record highs after Fed cuts rates. What it means for your 401(k).
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Cards Against Humanity sues Elon Musk's SpaceX over land bought to curb Trump border wall
NFL analyst Cris Collinsworth to sign contract extension with NBC Sports, per report
A dozen Tufts lacrosse players were diagnosed with a rare muscle injury